Home >Places & Regions >Place Descriptions >Bayt Umm al- Mays
 
Login
email
password

users currently online: 31

arrow Home

arrow Your Personal Page
arrow People
arrow Places & Regions
Place Descriptions
arrow History
arrow Culture

arrow Community Resources
arrow Photography - local
arrow Photography Diaspora
arrow Audio

arrow Our Partners
arrow About Us
arrow All Recent Entries
arrow Message Board
arrow Newsletter
arrow Newsletter Archive

arrow AEI-Open Windows

Place Descriptions

sorted by

Showing 41 - 59 from 59 entries

> Beit Sahour
> Dary al- Shaykh
> Dayr Rafat
> Safad
> Acre (Akka)
> Bahai Temple and Gardens in Haifa
> Touristical Sites in Nazareth
> Religious Sites in Nazareth (al-Nasira)
> Star Street
> Sites in Caesarea
> Al-Madbassah Square
> Milk Grotto
> Dayr al-Hawa دير الهوا
> Bayt Umm al- Mays
> 'Aqqur
> 'Allar
> Dayr 'Amr
> Dayr Aban دير آبان
> Bayt 'Itab
page 3 from 3  
Bayt Umm al- Mays
   
submitted by Turathuna Bethlehem University
11.07.2006

Bayt Umm al- Mays بيت أم الميس

Location:
PGR: 157131
Distance from Jerusalem: 14 km

Average Elevation (meters): 650

Land ownership in 1944/45:
Arab: 1,013
Jewish: 0

Bayt Umm al- Mays Before 1948:
Bayt Umm al- Mays was situated in a mountainous area facing northwest, and was bordered by two deep wadis to the northeast and southwest which met just northwest of the village. This combination of high elevation and deep wadis on three sides conferred upon the village a degree of strategic importance. A secondary road linked the village to the Jerusalem-Jaffa highway and to the villages of Suba and al-Qastal. The layout of the village was trapezoidal, and its older houses, which were built of stone, were clustered closely together. The newer houses extended to the southeast, towards the mountain that overlooked the village on the south. Bayt Umm al- Mays was classified during the Mandate era a hamlet by the Palestinian Index Gazetteer. Its inhabitants were Muslims. Potable water was provided by two springs southwest of the village. The agricultural economy was based on the growing of grain and fruit, particularly grapes. Crops were watered by rainfed and irrigated by water drawn from springs. Part of the village lands was used as grazing areas for sheep and goats. Most of the agricultural land was south of the village, while vineyards and fruit orchards covered the mountain slopes .in 1944/45, a total of 273 dunums were allotted to cereals, 51 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards. Several khirbas were located near the site.

Occupation and Depopulation:
While the circumstances of the occupation of this village are not known, it was almost certainly captured during Opertaion ha-Har, the thrust into the southern part of the Jerusalem corridor after the second truce. Israeli historian Benny Morris indicates that it fell on 21 October 1948, probably to the Har'el Bridge.

The Village Today:
There are no Israeli settlements were built in this village. On the other hand, the site is covered with wild grass that grows around the remains of stone terraces. A few almond, olive and fig trees also grow along the terraces. The remains of the demolished house, which include fragments of an archway, stand at the northern end of the village; the ruins of another house stand at a short distance from the southern end, near a well. Two caves can be seen in the west. There are two very large stone slabs standing at the southern edge of the site, surrounded by bushes.


Source: Khalidi, Walid. All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington, D.C: Institute for Palestine Studies, 1992.

email to a friend print view